Followers

If Alice Won that means we all did

 ALICE WON 

WRITTEN BY JOSHUA PANTALLERESCO
ILLUSTRATED BY KENZIE CARR




GENRE: MYTHOLOGY/FAIRY TALE

PUBLISHED: DECEMBER 1ST, 2021

BLURB: After escaping the Asylum, Alice pursues the fleeing Queen of Hearts and stumbles into the Greek Underworld. Before she knows it, Alice finds herself in a croquet match unlike any other against Jason of the Argonauts. With the Cheshire Cat, Eris by her side (and inside her head) Can Alice survive the game before her?

WHAT THIS BOOK DOES WELL:
This book does what I love books to do, it gets right into the action, right to the story's beginning. It knows what tale it wants to tell you and that's what it tells you. 
Now that being said, this book was very much a beautiful, abstract painting for me. Filled with layers to absorb, beautiful coloring that fills in any gaps, and scenes that distract and disarm me when I turn my gaze from one corner (or one page) to the next. There is so much to really sink your teeth into here. You get this cool twist right in the first few pages that is this interesting existential, philosophical coming to grips with one's self exploration and it is really what is truly charming about Alice and her journey. The book is action packed yes but is also thought provoking, very internal at times and that type of perspective really punches up the narrative to a very relatable and often emotional degree. Alice is not the typical Alice, in fact none of more recognizable characters are what you remember to be and I think that works well to the style of the read too but also adds a little bit more of a modern feel to dated character flaws that push this narrative to be more mature, more realistic even though we are dancing through the absurd more than we are not. I like Pantalleresco's banter at times too, with even subtle and not subtle jabs at the very idea of these characters in past stories. It's clever, it's fun, and most of all its designed with a care and perspective that helps make this a great and fast read. I will also say you won't have to read Alice Zero (the 1st book in The Alice Pandemic) but it helps.

WHY YOU NEED TO CHAMPION THIS BOOK:  Look if you are really attached to the way you know these familiar as, okay you may or may not like this book but I have to say you should. For no other reason than what Joshua does here is not in mean or subversive context, quite the contrary really. He is really giving you an upgrade from a fan point of view in many instances. I think also while the subject matter's surface looks absurd and fantastical to the point of an interesting acid trip this book has an incredible arc, an incredible soul, and I think it will sneak up on many people and surprise them/you. Then I would definitely say go back and get yourself Alice Zero and yeah it might be ass backwards to do that but it kinda of fits the style here. 

IF YOU LIKE THESE YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS BOOK: Alice In Wonderland, Labyrinth, and Twisted or Rewritten Fairy Tales  

YOU CAN GET "ALICE WON" HERE

Comments

  1. I can only imagine how deep the rabbit hole goes, what with Joshua's intellect and his mind overflowing with bizarre and wonderful images. Although I'm not a fan of poetry or Alice, I know when I open the book, I'm not going to care about either of them, as Josh will take me on a whimsical, crazy ride.
    Wishing you huge success with the book and your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment