Followers

The science of emotion rules this Dark Matter

 DARK MATTER 


RELEASED: NOV 5TH, 2021

WRITTEN AND PERFORMED BY MERLIN 

WHAT THIS EP DOES WELL: Well if you don't know the name get ready to...Merlin is destined to be a star. This small sampling on this EP of why I believe that, is surely enough evidence needed to back that claim up. However if you dig deeper and understand why people love artists like Dua Lipa, Katie Perry, Billie Eilish, and Rita Ora you know its all about connection and relativity. When you feel like an artist is speaking to you or relates to what you feel, think ,and experience there is no stronger bond, it's what makes music unique in that sense. That being said what makes Merlin even more unique is the maturity of the lyrical content. Sure the beats are fresh, the rhythms are well orchestrated, the choruses catchy (I defy anybody not to be signing them to yourself after a few listens), and the sampling is top notch all of what makes up the genesis of a great pop song and a great album. Also what wins over radio play, TikTok background or foreground usage even, and dance clubs. Totally understand that and if that is the only case to be made for these 3 songs and why Merlin is going to be a name you will know then I am sure everyone involved in her career and in making of this would be happy. The goal is to be heard and again I understand that. However for me in any other circumstance this music is not normally my cup of tea, although I do like a song or two by artists the above but normally I just not interested. So when I gravitate to something like this it's probably because I think there is something more than it being a little catchy. What I have come to really appreciate about Merlin and her incredible vocal stylings that she expresses such complex and interesting ideas in a somewhat upbeat manner and while it catches you because of the groove or the mix, it makes you stay because of how she is able to draw you in. Long drawn notes, vocal range changes, and lyrics that really just grab at you. The lyrics are intelligent, very relatable, and very well expressed. My favorite track is "Can't Touch This". I love the bits of old school Michael/Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake feel with the modern beats and the catchy "You Can't touch This..." chorus but the lyrics to this song are so powerful. Such an empowering message and so a relatable feeling that this song touches upon. I have been a fan of "I Owe You" for a while now and if you get a chance I highly recommend checking out the concept video on Merlin's YouTube Channel

WHY YOU SHOULD CHAMPION THIS EP: This is the start of something, and probably something big. If you are a fan of the artists I mentioned in the "Does Well" section I think you will like a lot of what you hear here. I also think if you are going through some things these 3 songs may help you not feel so alone in that and then grab and make you sing and dance along. Okay I won't tell anybody you might like to do that, but it probably will (or so I have heard ;) ). At very least I think if you are an artist you will appreciate the craftmanship and care in which each of these 3 songs have been constructed and well refined. Another aspect of  championing this EP and Merlin herself, is you just might learn a thing or two. I am not going to say what you might learn because its all up to the person. What I have discovered about myself is when I give something I listen, watch, or read that I would not normally just pick up on my own its when I feel like it really speaks to me more. I am usually happily surprised more than I am not and in that I really do pick up a little insight, feel like I am finding I grow and round myself out a little more with each experience. There will be times, and yes it has already happened, where I will need the playlist with a little Merlin in it, so I am lucky I have it there when I need it. You might find the same?

IF YOU LIKE Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Justin Timberlake, or dancing and singing then you probably will like Merlin's Dark Matter.     

YOU CAN GET IT FROM AMAZON HERE or add it to your SPOTIFY PLAYLIST HERE

HERE ALSO IS THE ORIGINS EPISODE I DID WIT MERLIN A BIT EARLIER THIS YEAR




Comments