Followers

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned with Black Flames

BLACK FLAMES


(DARK FANTASY/SUPERNATURAL ROMANCE/MYTHOS)

This is Book 1 of the Ember Series.

BLURB: Ember believes she's a latent wolf until she finds herself facing a demon using hellfire. The black flames trigger something within her and the world as she knows it is dumped on its head. Has her entire life been nothing but a lie?

Tied to the future Alpha via contract, she seeks an escape to find her true mate. Confused by the emotions surrounding her discovery, she sacrifices herself to save her pack and is taken to hell. With a false engagement and memories erased, she finds herself part of a larger plan. Can she fulfill her role and manage to return home without her secret being discovered?

WHAT THIS BOOK DOES WELL: I know a lot of people are going to frown at this or not want to accept this but this book works on a level that transcends genre, myths, and even romance because of Madilynn Dale's approach to writing and storytelling. This is one of the best books I have ever read that, follows a 3 act structure, and uses the 1st person POV 
to perfection. In writing this way, not only does it create this incredible cinematic universe and story, but it also garnishes an incredible ride through an origin story, a love story, and sets you up perfectly for what's to come in the series ahead. The characters are not only vivid but in telling the story through Ember's eyes we discover or resolve every moment that we may predict, ascertain, or even get surprised by, all in the context of an entertaining, action-packed, and very saucy story (more on that in a moment). I saw every character as clear as I could, casting them like in a movie, TV Show, or play with recognizable names and faces because we weren't given that instruction, we were tempted by it. That is a meticulous device that Dale really has command of, almost from page 1. That's just the beginning of her incredible storytelling prowess here though. Another aspect of that prowess is how effective the changeovers, plot events, and shifts in tone all come so naturally and seamlessly. That is expert writing to the core. Now the sauciness I referred to has its place, has its draw, and I didn't mind it but I will say some of the words used to describe it and be in the moment of it, almost had me thinking the author didn't want to go too far with it or at least not lose the story into complete erotica. Understandable, but sometimes that's when some of the genre-ness kind of jars me out of it but to Dale's credit she mixed it well enough for me to know its there, but because she really does have an understanding of who this book was meant for, that becomes a strength. While its not for me, I have to not only respect it but realize that this story needed those cutesy sprinklings from time to time because we are in the POV of a 19-year-old girl. Now while I have never been one, a 19-year-old girl that is,  I can see how that happens and why those words (thoughts) are there. So again even that is so well done.

WHY CHAMPION THIS BOOK: I mean this is a story I think on so many different levels there will be something for anyone who gives it a go. I am not the core audience by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly think this book/series/Dale's writing could bring me there. Dale's ability to write and tell a story in this manner, in this disciplined fashion, it's universal and that will be hard to put down for anyone who really gets to where the 2nd act meets the 1st, and trust me, you will know that moment. So if you like your reads cinematic I am not sure you could find a better book out there. Now all being said this also will appeal if you are someone who likes a little smut, isn't afraid of a little romp or two or a half a dozen (I seriously lost count :) ), and doesn't mind it going a bit dirty. At the end of all this though, the writer's greatest strength might be in our hopes.  These are the types of stories we have been waiting for as a society, strong, confident women, flawed and not perfect this way or that way, but real and authentic. Ember is very much Luke Skywalker and any type of destined character arc you think of. That is so hard to write and I think really needs to be not only celebrated but promoted. Even beyond all of that, this is a story that involves supernatural creatures and Hell and is a fun, entertaining book to just get lost in too. So what are waiting for? :) 


YOU CAN GET THE BOOK HERE

 




Comments