Followers

If you are thinking about what makes a great Indie novel, well then perhaps you have been Demon Kissed

 DEMON KISSED


BOOK 1 IN THE SUMMONER'S MARK SERIES

PUBLISHED BY BELL BRIDGE BOOKS

(PARANORMAL/URBAN FANTASY)

BLURB: My name is Rebecca, but everyone calls me Becs.

Years ago, a mark appeared on my inner wrist--The Kiss, they call it--and it makes me a summoner. I can summon, well, things…entities of power, including demons. Which, I did, until recently. I quit, because I summoned a demon on behalf of a client and things went south. I fixed it, but now I owe that demon a favor and I don't know when he's going to call it in, or, what he's going to ask.

One thing's for sure, it won't be kosher.

Now I work in a fae bar, trying to stay out of trouble, waiting for the hammer to drop. But trouble tends to follow me. And my upstairs neighbor, Ash, seems to be right in the thick of it. He's gorgeous, with sexy curls, kissable lips, and a body to match. I can't believe someone like him even glanced my way.

Things get complicated when a local mob boss wants my help, a warlock decides I'm next on the menu, and my six-foot-tall fairy friend can't find his way home.

What's a Jewish, bird-watching summoner with family and friends to protect, to do?

I walked toward the door, cursing to myself, "Great, first I'm an outcast, now I'm the chosen one. For cryin' out loud somebody pick their cliché."

WHAT THIS BOOK DOES WELL: Well let me start by saying there isn't much this book doesn't do well. Right from the 1st chapter, you get a sense this is going to be well-paced and well designed because you are thrown right into the thick of it and it hardly relents from that moment forward. As the story settles in and we get our character introductions you start to see that this story is a game of chess unfolding right before our eyes. Not just any game of chess though, and what is done so cleverly and carefully by JD Blackrose is we aren't just reading the story as the pieces move, we are getting the inside scoop from the characters themselves, as they decide what move to make, and what if they did this or that before actually doing it. With that kind of insider's approach you really are so invested in this story and its characters you start to get lost in the world quickly and sometimes don't want to come out of it. That's the other key element too, is how so well defined these characters are, even though we are reading this from a 1st person's POV. Every character, no matter how small, is written with the purpose of being a part of this story. They all matter! That is what ultimately is the most impressive thing about this book, it never loses its place in the story, we never get off track, and it feels seamless. Even in the stark changing moments where we aren't even in a "reality" you don't feel pulled away from the central aspects. In fact, you feel more involved. That is a writing talent of which I can name maybe a handful of writers who can pull that off. JD Blackrose has also this incredible knack for staying in character, which makes all the moments when you need to feel something seem richer and gives you the permission to draw on that emotion they might envoke. It also breaks up the monotony and gives its panache. I smiled and chuckled as much as I drew in and exclaimed. This book because of all these well written, well thought out elements lead you to a conclusion that so suits what you experienced the pages before and leaves you as it took you. That is superior writing and super storytelling you only get once in a while but that stays with you for a long, long time. Which for me, this book will. 

WHY YOU SHOULD CHAMPION THIS BOOK:  It is so rare you are going to come across a book that is genre-specific but is written in a way that would appease many other fans of different genres. I mean I can see sarcastic, snarky crime readers enjoying this book even though it has demons and magic. I can see romance readers enjoying this book for the eye candy. If you like Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy, well there is no way you can't find that in here. There are so many more different ways I can make that argument for Mafia lovers, David Fincher film lovers (yes I said that), Fae and folklore lovers, but ultimately too this is a book that really understands storytelling and characters. So if you are someone who reads to getaway, and just enjoys living vicariously in a different world, different life, I think you will really absorb this book well. I think character debates will be made on which one the audience might like better and those will be fun discussions in spoiler FB Group discussions for sure. This book has a gravitational pull that is undeniable and it will snare you very, very fast and I promise it won't disappoint as it goes along. 


THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE NOW IN EBOOK AND PAPERBACK, GET YOUR COPY HERE  


Comments