Followers

The ethereal plains of sound were looking for a Lost Satellite to find us

 


Indie Music Review: Written by JD Estrada

Band: Lost Satellite

Album(s): Either Way & Bare Bones EP


WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT THIS MUSIC: I remember listening to a track by Lost Satellite last year and thinking it was a lost gem from the 90’s or early 2000’s. I’m not saying this to mean this sounds by ANY means dated. I’m saying that this is the music I love. Felt a bit like The Dissociatives (side project from Daniel Johns from Silverchair), maybe even Three Fish (an obscure band I really enjoyed from the 90’s including Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam).


But it had more weight to it than either of those projects.

Then suddenly I got a bit of Queens of the Stone Age…and suddenly I clicked, this reminded me of Alain Johannes (from the band Eleven and a major figure in the desert rock scene, not to mention a hell of a musician AND producer). So imagine how pumped up I was to see that the track and forthcoming album would be mixed AND Produced by Alain.


Every time a track would drop, I KNEW I would review the album. It’s broody and melodically melancholic and if you like 90’s rock you’ll love this. What may come as a surprise is that the band is actually from Seville Spain. What shouldn’t be a surprise is that the combination of Alex, Kique, RenĂ©, and Eduardo evokes some classic 90’s feels of the likes of R.E.M. but grungier.


For the full scope of the band, I’d actually recommend the short but gorgeous album as well as the EP, featuring a version of their song “No Fun” with Mark Lanegan and other stripped down songs. It just feels right to have both versions plus the acoustic material, which brings me to an important thing.



WHY CHAMPION THIS MUSIC: This album and Lost Satellite’s music in general feels right for someone like me who adores the 90’s. It’s not predictable by any means, but so often I would feel my body want a bridge or chorus to go a certain way and them landing in a spot that feels more new than familiar, hence me saying it feels right. So click play, put on Repeat All, and enjoy.





YOU CAN CHECK OUT LOST SATELLITE'S MUSIC HERE

Comments