Followers

INDIE MOVIE REVIEW FROM CINEQUEST: TOMORROW

 TOMORROW 



A young girl struggles to get back home when she starts inexplicably waking up as a different person everyday.

Writer/Director Kellen Gibbs
Director of Photography Martin Anthony Munoz
Editor Tyler Brebner
Stars Arthur Roberts, Jane Edwina Seymour, Zachary Ray Sherman
Genre: Drama, Fantasy

WHAT THIS MOVIE DOES WELL: There's no denying this is a very unique take on the "Body Swap/Switch meets Groundhog's Day" idea. This is well directed, well shot, and has a look and feel that it commits to and stays consistent with throughout. That in itself is a tremendous achievement. The writing has some really smart moments in it as well. There a couple nice callbacks, and ultimately a very interesting ending that I think is both extremely unique and well though out. For me personally I just wish it got there sooner. I understand why it didn't and I think again the choices were made in the storytelling that had to be stuck to because we have an unlikely POV that we have rarely seen in these types of films before and their perspective and experiences lend it self to let's call it a slow burn to understanding. I think for that reason, everything done in the manner it was done, and timing wise in which it happened and why, all makes sense. 


I loved Richard Neil in this, he is a veteran presence that has always had a nice command of when he is on screen, and he does the dad role so well. Of all the incarnations (for lack of a better term), besides the one that turns everything around (and I am not giving you all the spoiler to which one that is) the church scene is my favorite. I was really compelled by the acting and the movement in the story here. It showed me how smart a wriiter Kellen is and make no mistake about it, there is a very nice deep idea here that I think ultimately sees its way through and does so subtly. I love that kind of storytelling. 

I also have to mention the beauty in which Martin Anthony Munoz handles the transitions, puts us in a state of the POV and then has this incredible seamless approach to the scenic value of what we are experiencing and able to take in. There is this nice filtered light shining, ephiphany like atomosphere that kind of helps us transition as much as it confounds and confuses us, and utilitizing a lot of the natural elements really strikes this nice imprint that helps us follow what is happening here. I never felt lost, I never felt out of it. That's remarkable given the ambition this film embarks upon. 

WHY CHAMPION THIS MOVIE: I think if you are a fan of this fantasy genre, you got to give this movie a shot. It is unlike anything you have ever seen in this space and yet it very much comforting in its non mistakable aim at this being a part of the lexicon of these sort of movies. I really am looking forward to seeing what Kellen does next and checking out all he has already done before because I think he has an unique sense of smart storytelling that pushes the boundaries but doesn't throw us into an infinite loop of what the fuck-ness. That kind of comfort is a rarity I hope it hits a lot of people that way. Despite my personal impatience, it doesn't take away from the fact that there is a ton of talent on display here both behind and in front of the camera. 

YOU CAN FOLLOW THIS MOVIE'S JOURNEY HERE

Comments